Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day

Happy Memorial day to all of you. This card was sent to me by my friend Susan. This is another card that showcases the stamp,"Land of the Free". What a perfect card to celebrate Memorial Day!

This past weekend has been memorable for us. Thursday night we got hit by a strong storm. In the beginning of the week, they had called for Tornadoes and we did have funnel clouds near us but none touched down. It did rain extremely hard and the creek behind our house did flood over into our back yard. Those are things that we can live with. We felt very fortunate especially after what happened to Joplin, Missouri. But on Thursday night, no Tornado watches or warnings were called. The wind
started to pick up, rain started to fall, and then we heard a crash and it went dark. What happened was the wind got up to over 60 mph and it sheared the top off of one of the trees which it landed on the power lines. Our block was lined with fire trucks from various fire departments in the area. There were live wires down but other than that I don't know why they were there. It looked so funny because our backyard looked more like a crime scene than wires down. But I added a few photos of our adventure. We were without power for 16 hours. I felt very grateful it was not worse. The whole block had wires frayed and downed in their yards but it could have been much worse. There are still some wires and trees down in our backyards but we have power. This just surprised us because no weather watches were called in our area at that time. My blog was able to post on Friday because I had written it earlier and had it timed to post on Friday otherwise I would not have been able to post because we had no phone or internet because our cable was also hit.

Oh well, it has been a beautiful weekend so far. It is supposed to get very hot here today. So I will stay inside in the air conditioning and get some stamping done. I need to finish my cards for my technique classes this month. Enjoy your day!



1 comment:

  1. Glad you're okay. What a scary experience!

    I couldn't wait to get Land of the Free - and haven't even used it yet!! Thanks for the inkspiration :)

    ReplyDelete